In extreme northeastern corner of Seminole County. A post office from September 10, 1883, to December 14, 1907. Taken from Abi' h' ka, meaning 'peace town' or 'a place where justice was received.'
Near Bowlegs. A post office from January 23, 1928, to April 15, 1935. Name comes from Beirut, Lebanon.
Near Wewoka. A post office from march 1, 1910, to December 31, 1913.
In eastern part of the county, adjoining Wewoka. A post office from March 22, 1912, to March 31, 1915.
Eight miles northeast of Wewoka. A post office from June 1, 1903 to November 30, 1906. Named for Thomas Butner, early day settler.
Seven miles southeast of Maud. A post office from June 24, 1931 to July 15, 1939. It was named for Dewey Wright, first postmaster.
In southeastern part of the county near Konawa. A post office from July 17, 1906 to December 31, 1909.
Extreme northwestern part of Seminole county. A post office form September 15, 1881 to November 30, 1907. On October 19, 1899, the post office was established slightly to the west at a new site in the Pottawatomie Nation. The is the Seminole/Creek word meaning a surveyed line.
On the line between Seminole and Hughes counties, 5 miles south of Wewoka. A post office from January 23, 1895, to July 16, 1906. Site of Emahaka Academy, established in 1893 by the Seminole Nation as a school for girls. The word is a Seminole word, meaning literally "girls" school.
Ten miles northeast of Seminole of Seminole. A post office from February 17, 1908, to November 30, 1916. Named for Reverend Willie Haney, prominent Seminole.
Six miles north of Konawa. A post office from July 31, 1905, to March 24, 1943. Named for Hazel Whalen, daughter of R.C. Whalen of Ada, an official of the Oklahoma City, Ada and Atoka Railway.
Five miles northwest of Seminole. A post office from January 10, 1891 to November 27, 1895. The name is from the Creek word heleswv, meaning medicine.
Six miles south of Boley, A post office from October 31, 1903 to November 28, 1907. Named for Irene Davis, the late Mrs. W.S. Key of Oklahoma City, daughter of Chief Alice Brown Davis, Seminole leader. On December 19, 19, 1907 a post office named Schoolton was established at approximately this same site.
Six miles south east of Seminole. A post office from July 17, 1907 to August 23, 1957.
In northern Seminole county, eight miles north of the town of Seminole. A post office from August 14, 1902 to November 30, 1916. It was named for Thomas Little, prominent Seminole and second chief of the tribe.
Three miles southwest of Seminole. A post office from October 17, 1894 to February 28, 1915. Site of Mekasukey Academy, established in 1891 as a Seminole school for boys. The name is the Creek word mekko-tku-cuko, originally meaning 'where the chiefs meet'. but later developed the meaning 'place where Christianity is taught'.
In the northeast part of Seminole county, six miles east of Castle. A post office from September 3, 1903 to April 29, 1916. Named for Victoria Price, first postmistress.
Six miles south of Boley. A post office from December 19, 1907 to June 30, 1917. Until November 28, 1907, a post office named Irene had been located at this same proximate location. The name was selected by William P. Weston, local educator, in recognition of plans for a fine school system.
Four miles southeast of Bowlegs. A post office from October 11, 1928 to December 31, 1955. The name was coined from Snowden and McSweeney, the developers who drilled the discovery well.
Sic miles west of Cromwell. Post office from February 2, 1907 to April 30, 1935. Name selected by the wife of first postmaster, W.T Stavely because the site was "surrounded by a wonderful wood" area.
Six miles south of Wewoka. A post office from June 1, 1903 to November 30, 1906. Named for M.M Tate, attorney and United States Commissioner.
Eight miles south of Seminole. Post office from May 22, 1906 to February 15, 1911. Its name comes from that of ancient country adjoining Macedonia.
Present day Seminole. Post office established may 17, 1902 and the name changed to Seminole, February 6, 1907. Named for Hoe Tidmore, a contractor for the erection of Mekasukey Mission.
Seven miles east of Konawa. post office from May 19, 1906 to March 20, 1918. Means to 'move along'.
Two miles south of Bowlegs. A post office from February 25, 1903 to September 14, 1907.
Seminole Nation Home
©2001 - Present Linda Simpson